Mum saves son, 6, from choking to death on lollipop while giving him haircut

Mum saves son, 6, from choking to death on lollipop while giving him haircut

A mum-of-two is warning parents to be careful when giving their kids lollipops after she saved her six-year-old son from nearly choking to death.

Tyler Creswell got his lollipop stuck in his throat while his mum was giving him a haircut.

Care worker Jaime Hammond, 25, quickly bent her son over and thumped his back to dislodge the sweet.

Jaime said she was left shaken as her son had turned blue and was just seconds away from asphyxiating.

She told Grimsby Live she was cutting Tyler’s hair and treated him to a lollipop when the drama happened in the kitchen of their Scunthorpe home.

Jaime said she had started cutting the hair of her two children – Tyler, and Avianah Cox, 4 – due to lockdown restrictions shutting salons.

“When they go to the hairdressers normally, they get a lollipop, so I gave him a lollipop and started cutting his hair,” she said.

Promoted Stories
“After about 15 minutes he started making weird movements. I was stood behind him so went in front of him and could see he was turning blue and his eyes were rolling. I saw the lollipop stick in his hand so instantly knew what had happened.

“I tipped him over and banged on his back. It took 12 times but it flew out on to the floor. They were quite quick hard blows. It felt like forever. I had that sinking feeling that time was running out on me. But he gave a massive gasp of air and started crying.

“The first thing he said was ‘”I nearly died mummy.'”

Jaime said: “It is one of a parents worst nightmares. A child choking is terrifying and I want to make people aware of the danger. My kids have always had lollipops and all my family and friends give lollipops to their kids. But they can pop off so easily.”

Jaime works at Sycamore Lodge care home in Ashby and was taught First Aid in case any of the residents start to choke.

She said: “With adults it is different because you try to dislodge the food from their mouth first and then can try the Heimlich move from behind, thrusting from behind and almost lifting them.

“But with children it is best to bend them over. Otherwise it can break ribs because of the force you have to use to lift them from behind. You can end up doing more harm than good. So its easier just to tip them over and band them on the back.”

She added: “We get it from time to time at the home with residents struggling with their food. With some it is best to liquidise their food.”

Jaime said, due to the distress, she finished Tyler’s hair the next day. She spoke of how her kids decided themselves that they did not want anymore lollipops and threw the pack of Fruity Pops in the bin.

Jaime said Tyler had told his friends at school about his ordeal and how his mum saved his life. They also learned about First Aid moves before schools broke up for the Easter holidays. He is now enjoying chocolate and crisps and told his mum he wants to be vegetarian.

His mum said she is pleased he is enjoying his holidays playing Nerf gun games with his friends and learning Fortnite on his computer. She said he is planning to become a policeman in order to help others in their time of need.

boldcrazecom